Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11 The Day That Changed Everything

I was in St. Louis, MO on my way to class for my nursing degree. Adam was at home in Arkansas, also in nursing school with classes later in the day. This was many years before we would meet, and many things would take place in our lives before our paths would cross because of what happened on 9/11.
I was called to active duty on 2/14/03, one day after passing my nursing boards. My deployment started in March 2003 and ended August 2004. Adam's deployment started February 2003 and ended April 2004. His nursing school would have to be put on hold until he returned. He served as a medic on an ambulance crew in Iraq, and I was a construction equipment operator in Iraq.


We were in many of the same places in Iraq, which is one of the many interesting coincidences in our lives before we finally met. We grew up an hour away from each other, and because we both lived in small towns we shopped at the same mall and went to the same restaurants. Then, I moved to St. Louis, and graduated nurse anesthesia school on 12/12/09 (the exact same day as Adam) nine months later we were both deployed to Ft. Hood, TX to fill in as CRNAs for active duty nurse anesthetists who were deployed to Afghanistan. Before I left for Ft. Hood, I learned that my new friend from work who went to anesthesia school in Little Rock had a friend that was also going to be sent to Ft. Hood, Adam. That's how and when our paths finally crossed. After years of being so close, but never meeting, we finally met!

No comments:

Post a Comment