Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bareboat sailing day 4: British Virgin Islands, BVI, The Bight, Norman Island

During the night our breeze booster fell into the water. No big deal, it's only 13 feet down to the bottom, I got this, right? uh wrong… I tried four times to swim to the bottom with my snorkel and fins on and couldn't get close. Julian wakes up and jumps in with goggles swims over to the breeze booster, down to the bottom, grabs it and swims straight back! Did I mention that he is 68 years old and getting a hip replacement later this year? I really need to work out more! Julian saved the day, and this is his last day with us.


Pirate's Bight 2014
We set out on a quick sail across the channel to Nanny Cay Marina to drop him off then on to my favorite stop, The Bight! We are on our own! Since our last trip to the BVIs, Pirates Bight the restaurant and bar, burnt down after a spontaneous combustion from the materials they used to refinish the floors. Nobody lives on Norman Island, they only go there for work. The restaurant was a total loss and was completely rebuilt. The old one had a college bar feel to it with an old swing in the back and a jumbo sized jenga. The new one is very elegant and much more of a country club feel than the beach club vibe it once had. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely beautiful and I will go back, it just isn't the laid back, relaxing island hang out that I prefer.

Pirate's Bight 2012
We finally broke out our class 6 PFDs*, our sit n floats! That's probably my favorite thing to do. Just chill in the water and take in the amazing views.
*when our instructor saw these he said you brought your own personal floatation devices? Without missing a beat Maria called them our Class 6 PFDs! Haha I think they are just recommended by the ASA, but they should be required.

No visit to The Bight is complete without a stop at Willy T's, a floating restaurant. It can get a little crazy on this boat, but it's all good fun. They have the best fish n' chips in the BVI!
Willy T's 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment